Tips for Super Smile-Worthy Holiday Photos
November 9, 2014
SMILE! Nothing says holidays like family photos. It’s no wonder the holidays are a popular time for cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening and more! Take it from the Smile Experts at First Choice Dental. Pick up these smile-worthy tips for being more photogenic and taking better photos this holiday season!
If you don't love your smile, there's still time to change it before Santa gets here. Request your appointment for a free cosmetic consultation today and get the smile you've always wanted just in time for the holidays!
6 Tips To Be More Photogenic
- Place your tongue behind your teeth as you smile to avoid a too-wide, cheesy grin.
- Dreading the double chin? “Lose a few pounds” instantly when you elongate your neck and push your face forward a bit. Think of sticking out your forehead and tipping your chin slightly down. It might feel a little funny, but it will avoid the dreaded double chin and slim your face slightly.
- Take a tip from your teenage daughter. When you check out homecoming or prom pictures of a bunch of beautiful teenage girls, notice the classic side turn, hand on hip pose. They know something you don’t. Taylor Swift does the same thing. So try your own “red carpet” pose. Put your hand on your hip, angle your body to the side and turn your head towards the camera. This classic although cliché trick really does work to help you look slimmer.
- Think about angles. Facing the camera straight on isn’t too flattering; Instead, turn your head to a three-quarter position to give your features depth.
- Don’t say cheese! Instead, think of something funny. Or better yet, have someone tell a joke right before the picture’s taken. It’ll result in a more natural, relaxed smile.
- Wear bright lipstick. Dark, matte lipstick makes lips appear thinner, which can be aging or unflattering. Stick with brighter colors, and choose warm tones instead of bluish cool tones to make your teeth look whiter
7 Tips To Be A Better Photographer
- Get your photo subjects to loosen up a bit. If you’re photographing a group of people and they all seem a bit stiff, tell a joke. Have them do a silly pose in the middle of a series of serious poses. Or have them all jump up in the air once. It’ll loosen them up and result in a more natural shot.
- Take a lot of photos! People who think they’re poor photographers may be reluctant to take photos. But the law of averages rules. The more photos you take, the more likely it is you’ll end up with the winning shot! With digital photography, there’s no risk. You can delete all the images you don’t like!
- Natural light is your friend. If at all possible position your photo subjects near a window, encourage outdoor photography or open all the blinds to let in as much natural light as possible.
- Be taller than the person you’re photographing. Photos taken from just above your subject rather than from below are more flattering. If you need to, stand on a stepping stool or chair, or ask your photo subject to be seated while you stand.
- Don’t back them into a corner. The temptation can be to have your photo subject stand against a flat, bare wall. Try positioning your photo subjects where there’s space behind them, whether it’s a hallway, large room, trees or simply more space between them and the background behind them. It will add interest and depth to your photos.
- Don’t underestimate the power of candid shots. Some of your best photos might be those where your photo subjects aren’t expecting them. Action shots, like laughter between two family members, can be the most precious and real moments you’ll capture all season.
- Give them a prop. Props can help your photo subject take their mind off the job of posing and add interest to the photo. A holiday decoration, flower, book, anything to lend a more natural, in-the-moment aspect to the shot, can be helpful.
For all of you looking forward to the smiles of the season, we hope these tips will be useful for better photographs of you and by you.
If you find yourself dreading photos because you don’t love your smile, give us a call. We talk to patients every single day about options to help you achieve the smile of your life, so that you can smile more often and more confidently.
Request your appointment for a free cosmetic consultation today and get the smile you've always wanted just in time for the holidays!