April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
First Choice Dental’s Commitment to Your Safety and Health
4 Ways to Celebrate Children’s Dental Health Month
First Choice Dental's Re-Opening Update
Five Tips for Proper Orthodontic Care Between Visits
No Dental Insurance? Try this Smart Choice
Why Every Kid Should See an Orthodontist Starting at Age 7
Empowering Hygienists with Collaboration & Clear Expectations
To Succeed, Our Hygienists Keep Learning
Sharp Instruments Give Our Hygienists an Edge
Flexibility and the Game of Life
Our Structure Puts People First
Are you at risk for gum disease? Take this quiz to find out!
5 reasons you should celebrate this unsung Dane County anniversary
Summer is here! Time for the cookouts, maybe a little camping, and… braces!
Say "I Do" to a Beautiful Smile
Why Fluoride? The Good, the Bad, and the Facts
When do you start dental care with kids?
Improve your #selfie game with a healthy #smile
No need to floss? Think again!
Dental implants change the way dentists address tooth loss
Oral Cancer Myth Busting -- What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You
Snack Ideas with Punch for Your Smile
Smile Makeovers In Time For Your Wedding Day
Smile Makeover Photos You Will Not Believe
Acid Reflux or GERD and Tooth Damage
Join Us for a Luau to Help Fund Epilepsy Research
Dentist Approved Holiday Snacks for Kids and Adults
Tips to Keep Your Smile White and Bright this Holiday Season
What’s the first step in TMJ Treatment?
What You Can Expect During a Dental Hygiene Visit May Surprise You
Are Adult Fluoride Treatments Necessary
Keep Your Gums Healthy to Avoid Tooth Loss
Your Dental Hygiene Visit is More Than A Cleaning
How Do I Know if My Child Needs Braces
Childrens Dentistry to Maintain Kids Dental Health and Teaching Good Self Care
Teeth Grinding Clenching and Bruxism
Oral Cancer & HPV: A Doctor's Perspective
Have you had your oral cancer screening this year?
It Is Never Too Late to Make Your Teeth Straight with Braces for Adults
5 Dental Myths to Avoid for the Sake of Your Oral Health
Did You Know Your Dentist at First Choice Dental Could Help Relieve Chronic Headaches?
Learn More About Lumineers, the Ultra-thin Veneers for Your Teeth
Heart & Dental Health Go Hand in Hand
Hope and Hula in Pursuit of a Cure for Epilepsy
Conscious Sedation Dentistry Helps Make Dental Visits Easier
5 New Years Resolutions for a Healthier Smile
Is Flossing Your Teeth Really Important?
Smile-Worthy Holiday Gifts That Sparkle
Tips for Super Smile-Worthy Holiday Photos
Save hundreds of dollars this holiday season? Visit your dentist before December 31.
Is dental health linked to heart health?
Dental Hygiene Month Reminder More than a Cleaning
No lectures! Plus 6 other things you THOUGHT you had to fear at the dentist, but don’t.
Which toothpaste do dentists recommend: Insights into your dentist’s medicine cabinet.
How does the orthodontics process work?
What is Multi-phase Orthodontic Treatment and how can it help me?
Children's Dental Health Month: 10 Keys To Smile Health At Every Age & Stage
We're now your Waunakee dentist with the opening of First Choice Dental's 10th facility in Waunakee.
Oral Wellness: Your Dentist Helps You Have A Healthier Smile, For a Healthier You
Smile Healthy With Summer Nutrition Tips
Dental Care Tips For Special Needs Patients
What is Sedation Dentistry and is it right for me?
What is MI Paste and how can it benefit my teeth?
What is Laser Dentistry and how can it make for comfortable dental visits?
10 Tips to Make Key Dental Dates Part of Your 2013 Calendar
Mistletoe Preparedness Tips: Holidays = Together Time. Are you ready?
Why should I make dental visits part of my back to school routine?
5 Tips for Parents about Dentists for Kids in Madison
A Look at Laser Dentistry and Waterlase Technology
Making Sense of Teeth Whitening Options
How to Find the Right Dental Care for Your Child with Special Needs
Eat Healthy for a Healthy Smile
How Can Conscious Sedation Help with Dental Fear?
Conscious Sedation provides hope and help for people with overwhelming fear or anxiety of going to the dentist.
Tips for a More Kissable Smile
What Your Teeth are Telling You: Your Smile Could Show Signs of Diabetes and Other Health Risks
Don't Let Halloween Treats Play Tricks on Your Healthy Teeth!
Brace Yourself for Orthodontic Health Month
Snack Shacks & Sticky Summer Treats...Tips To Keep Your Child's Teeth Healthy!
Helpful Chart from the Minnesota Dental Association Shows Soda Sugar & Acid. When in doubt, water's always a great choice!
What are the benefits of Invisalign(R) invisible braces and how does the process work?
GameFace Mouth Guards Help Provide Sports Safety
Ten Foods That Are Good For Your Body And Your Smile
Can my dentist turn snoring into sleeping beauty?
Sip all day. Get decay. Soda can harm your oral health.
What To Expect When You're Expecting, Or Would Like to Be: A Trip to the Dentist is Important for Moms-To-Be or If You May Be Soon…
Does a Healthy Smile Lead to a Healthy Heart? Research shows a link between oral and overall health
Your dentist may be able to relieve chronic headaches caused by TMJ
Braces-Friendly Eating Tips: Dietary Guidelines for Orthodontic Patients
How Do I Know If I Have Gum Disease & What Can I Do About It?
Fluoride: Too Much of a Good Thing?
Does flossing really make a difference?
First Choice Dental Group Fact Sheet
Can the health of my smile affect my overall health?
How can I make my smile look better with help from a cosmetic dentist?
Tips for Super Smile-Worthy Holiday Photos
November 9, 2014
SMILE! Nothing says holidays like family photos. It’s no wonder the holidays are a popular time for cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening and more! Take it from the Smile Experts at First Choice Dental. Pick up these smile-worthy tips for being more photogenic and taking better photos this holiday season!
If you don't love your smile, there's still time to change it before Santa gets here. Request your appointment for a free cosmetic consultation today and get the smile you've always wanted just in time for the holidays!
6 Tips To Be More Photogenic
- Place your tongue behind your teeth as you smile to avoid a too-wide, cheesy grin.
- Dreading the double chin? “Lose a few pounds” instantly when you elongate your neck and push your face forward a bit. Think of sticking out your forehead and tipping your chin slightly down. It might feel a little funny, but it will avoid the dreaded double chin and slim your face slightly.
- Take a tip from your teenage daughter. When you check out homecoming or prom pictures of a bunch of beautiful teenage girls, notice the classic side turn, hand on hip pose. They know something you don’t. Taylor Swift does the same thing. So try your own “red carpet” pose. Put your hand on your hip, angle your body to the side and turn your head towards the camera. This classic although cliché trick really does work to help you look slimmer.
- Think about angles. Facing the camera straight on isn’t too flattering; Instead, turn your head to a three-quarter position to give your features depth.
- Don’t say cheese! Instead, think of something funny. Or better yet, have someone tell a joke right before the picture’s taken. It’ll result in a more natural, relaxed smile.
- Wear bright lipstick. Dark, matte lipstick makes lips appear thinner, which can be aging or unflattering. Stick with brighter colors, and choose warm tones instead of bluish cool tones to make your teeth look whiter
7 Tips To Be A Better Photographer
- Get your photo subjects to loosen up a bit. If you’re photographing a group of people and they all seem a bit stiff, tell a joke. Have them do a silly pose in the middle of a series of serious poses. Or have them all jump up in the air once. It’ll loosen them up and result in a more natural shot.
- Take a lot of photos! People who think they’re poor photographers may be reluctant to take photos. But the law of averages rules. The more photos you take, the more likely it is you’ll end up with the winning shot! With digital photography, there’s no risk. You can delete all the images you don’t like!
- Natural light is your friend. If at all possible position your photo subjects near a window, encourage outdoor photography or open all the blinds to let in as much natural light as possible.
- Be taller than the person you’re photographing. Photos taken from just above your subject rather than from below are more flattering. If you need to, stand on a stepping stool or chair, or ask your photo subject to be seated while you stand.
- Don’t back them into a corner. The temptation can be to have your photo subject stand against a flat, bare wall. Try positioning your photo subjects where there’s space behind them, whether it’s a hallway, large room, trees or simply more space between them and the background behind them. It will add interest and depth to your photos.
- Don’t underestimate the power of candid shots. Some of your best photos might be those where your photo subjects aren’t expecting them. Action shots, like laughter between two family members, can be the most precious and real moments you’ll capture all season.
- Give them a prop. Props can help your photo subject take their mind off the job of posing and add interest to the photo. A holiday decoration, flower, book, anything to lend a more natural, in-the-moment aspect to the shot, can be helpful.
For all of you looking forward to the smiles of the season, we hope these tips will be useful for better photographs of you and by you.
If you find yourself dreading photos because you don’t love your smile, give us a call. We talk to patients every single day about options to help you achieve the smile of your life, so that you can smile more often and more confidently.
Request your appointment for a free cosmetic consultation today and get the smile you've always wanted just in time for the holidays!