You may be able to relieve your headaches, jaw pain, or tinnitus right here.
What is TMJ?
An estimated 10 million Americans suffer from TMJ disorder, which is caused by bite misalignment that originates at the TMJ (temporomandibular joint). This is the joint that connects your top and bottom jawbone. People who suffer from TMJ experience aggravating symptoms, often without realizing their dentist could provide relief. Common TMJ symptoms include:
- Chronic headaches
- Popping, clicking, pain, or sensitivity in the jaw
- Tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tinnitus (ringing) in the ears
- Chronic pain in the neck or shoulders
Typically, TMJ headache therapy treatment follows these three steps:
- Relieving Muscle Spasms and Pain. Our immediate concern is to provide relief of your symptoms. We use a technology called ULF-TENS to help with pain relief by stimulating the body's production of endorphins, which is a natural anesthetic.
- Stabilizing the Bite. A temporary device known as an orthotic is often worn over the teeth. This device, which is made of acrylic, allows your dentist to make easy adjustments to align and stabilize your bite without directly adjusting the teeth. Once TMJ symptoms have dissipated and the bite has been stabilized, we will move on to the next step and permanently adjust your bite to the correct position.
- Long-Term Management. There are a variety of ways to correct your bite in a more permanent way. Once we’ve relieved your initial pain and stabilized your bite, we’re likely to take one of the following paths: Coronoplasty, Removable Overlay Partial Dentures, Reconstruction or Orthodontics.
Long Term Management Options
Coronoplasty is the smoothing and reshaping of the enamel of the teeth to correct your bite. It is a simple procedure that does not require anesthesia, and can be used if your bite is only slightly misaligned.
Removable Overlay Partial Dentures typically fit over the back teeth. Overlay partial dentures are designed to maintain an aligned bite.
Reconstruction involves making the teeth higher by using crowns. This permanently realigns the bite and provides structural support for the jaw.
Orthodontics can move healthy teeth to their optimal position through the use of braces. Our exceptional orthodontic team would work closely with your TMJ therapy dentist to integrate orthodontic treatment into your TMJ therapy strategy.
Schedule your Free Consultation at our Downtown Madison Location
If you are interested in learning more, you can call us schedule a free TMJ consultation, where you can meet the dentist, learn more about the process, and discuss the treatment you may need. There’s absolutely no charge and no obligation to see if TMJ therapy is the right choice for you. Learn more about our Madison Downtown location or call us at 608.251.3535 to schedule your consultation now.
October 15, 2020
At First Choice Dental, we understand that in addition to providing excellent dental care – it’s important to do it at an affordable price. That is why we offer our patients an alternative to dental insurance, our Smart Choice Dental Discount Plan. It’s a unique program that helps you save on routine care and unplanned dental expenses with one low annual fee. Read More
September 15, 2020
Our priority as your dental care provider is to preserve and protect your health and safety. As always, we continue to follow all guidelines set forth by the CDC, OSHA and the ADA. Read More
May 11, 2020
First Choice Dental is looking forward to getting back to work. We are taking a slow approach to re-opening to ensure your safety and the safety of our First Choice family. Some clinics will start re-opening the week of May 11th with limited schedules. By the first week of June, all of our clinics will be open. We appreciate your patience and understanding over the past two months while we suspended our routine dental services to focus on emergency dental care and on preserving personal protective equipment (PPE) for our frontline workers during the COVID-19 crisis. Read More