April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
First Choice Dental’s Commitment to Your Safety and Health
4 Ways to Celebrate Children’s Dental Health Month
First Choice Dental's Re-Opening Update
Five Tips for Proper Orthodontic Care Between Visits
No Dental Insurance? Try this Smart Choice
Why Every Kid Should See an Orthodontist Starting at Age 7
Empowering Hygienists with Collaboration & Clear Expectations
To Succeed, Our Hygienists Keep Learning
Sharp Instruments Give Our Hygienists an Edge
Flexibility and the Game of Life
Our Structure Puts People First
Are you at risk for gum disease? Take this quiz to find out!
5 reasons you should celebrate this unsung Dane County anniversary
Summer is here! Time for the cookouts, maybe a little camping, and… braces!
Say "I Do" to a Beautiful Smile
Why Fluoride? The Good, the Bad, and the Facts
When do you start dental care with kids?
Improve your #selfie game with a healthy #smile
No need to floss? Think again!
Dental implants change the way dentists address tooth loss
Oral Cancer Myth Busting -- What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You
Snack Ideas with Punch for Your Smile
Smile Makeovers In Time For Your Wedding Day
Smile Makeover Photos You Will Not Believe
Acid Reflux or GERD and Tooth Damage
Join Us for a Luau to Help Fund Epilepsy Research
Dentist Approved Holiday Snacks for Kids and Adults
Tips to Keep Your Smile White and Bright this Holiday Season
What’s the first step in TMJ Treatment?
What You Can Expect During a Dental Hygiene Visit May Surprise You
Are Adult Fluoride Treatments Necessary
Keep Your Gums Healthy to Avoid Tooth Loss
Your Dental Hygiene Visit is More Than A Cleaning
How Do I Know if My Child Needs Braces
Childrens Dentistry to Maintain Kids Dental Health and Teaching Good Self Care
Teeth Grinding Clenching and Bruxism
Oral Cancer & HPV: A Doctor's Perspective
Have you had your oral cancer screening this year?
It Is Never Too Late to Make Your Teeth Straight with Braces for Adults
5 Dental Myths to Avoid for the Sake of Your Oral Health
Did You Know Your Dentist at First Choice Dental Could Help Relieve Chronic Headaches?
Learn More About Lumineers, the Ultra-thin Veneers for Your Teeth
Heart & Dental Health Go Hand in Hand
Hope and Hula in Pursuit of a Cure for Epilepsy
Conscious Sedation Dentistry Helps Make Dental Visits Easier
5 New Years Resolutions for a Healthier Smile
Is Flossing Your Teeth Really Important?
Smile-Worthy Holiday Gifts That Sparkle
Tips for Super Smile-Worthy Holiday Photos
Save hundreds of dollars this holiday season? Visit your dentist before December 31.
Is dental health linked to heart health?
Dental Hygiene Month Reminder More than a Cleaning
No lectures! Plus 6 other things you THOUGHT you had to fear at the dentist, but don’t.
Which toothpaste do dentists recommend: Insights into your dentist’s medicine cabinet.
How does the orthodontics process work?
What is Multi-phase Orthodontic Treatment and how can it help me?
Children's Dental Health Month: 10 Keys To Smile Health At Every Age & Stage
We're now your Waunakee dentist with the opening of First Choice Dental's 10th facility in Waunakee.
Oral Wellness: Your Dentist Helps You Have A Healthier Smile, For a Healthier You
Smile Healthy With Summer Nutrition Tips
Dental Care Tips For Special Needs Patients
What is Sedation Dentistry and is it right for me?
What is MI Paste and how can it benefit my teeth?
What is Laser Dentistry and how can it make for comfortable dental visits?
10 Tips to Make Key Dental Dates Part of Your 2013 Calendar
Mistletoe Preparedness Tips: Holidays = Together Time. Are you ready?
Why should I make dental visits part of my back to school routine?
5 Tips for Parents about Dentists for Kids in Madison
A Look at Laser Dentistry and Waterlase Technology
Making Sense of Teeth Whitening Options
How to Find the Right Dental Care for Your Child with Special Needs
Eat Healthy for a Healthy Smile
How Can Conscious Sedation Help with Dental Fear?
Conscious Sedation provides hope and help for people with overwhelming fear or anxiety of going to the dentist.
Tips for a More Kissable Smile
What Your Teeth are Telling You: Your Smile Could Show Signs of Diabetes and Other Health Risks
Don't Let Halloween Treats Play Tricks on Your Healthy Teeth!
Brace Yourself for Orthodontic Health Month
Snack Shacks & Sticky Summer Treats...Tips To Keep Your Child's Teeth Healthy!
Helpful Chart from the Minnesota Dental Association Shows Soda Sugar & Acid. When in doubt, water's always a great choice!
What are the benefits of Invisalign(R) invisible braces and how does the process work?
GameFace Mouth Guards Help Provide Sports Safety
Ten Foods That Are Good For Your Body And Your Smile
Can my dentist turn snoring into sleeping beauty?
Sip all day. Get decay. Soda can harm your oral health.
What To Expect When You're Expecting, Or Would Like to Be: A Trip to the Dentist is Important for Moms-To-Be or If You May Be Soon…
Does a Healthy Smile Lead to a Healthy Heart? Research shows a link between oral and overall health
Your dentist may be able to relieve chronic headaches caused by TMJ
Braces-Friendly Eating Tips: Dietary Guidelines for Orthodontic Patients
How Do I Know If I Have Gum Disease & What Can I Do About It?
Fluoride: Too Much of a Good Thing?
Does flossing really make a difference?
First Choice Dental Group Fact Sheet
Can the health of my smile affect my overall health?
How can I make my smile look better with help from a cosmetic dentist?
5 New Years Resolutions for a Healthier Smile
January 1, 2015
Every year, many of us make New Year’s resolutions for our health and wellness. Whether it’s losing a few pounds, quitting a harmful habit or starting a healthy discipline, January is an opportunity to make a fresh start for the better.
To follow are five smile-worthy New Year’s resolutions to consider for your oral health. We’ve also included reassuring facts on how First Choice Dental provides peace of mind for those who’ve avoided the dentist based on fear, cost or just plain being busy.
Five Doable New Year’s Resolutions for Your Smile
- Brush & floss daily. Brushing twice-a-day and flossing daily keeps harmful bacteria and plaque at bay, freshens your breath, and brightens your smile — which is typically the first thing people notice about you. Plus, it only takes a handful of minutes each day to floss and brush, so once you get into a routine it will be easy to maintain!
- Make water your beverage of choice. The health benefits of proper hydration are as true for your smile as they are for your body. Part of maintaining a healthy smile is keeping the pH level in your mouth at a good level. A healthy mouth is a non-acidic, neutral or alkaline mouth, with a pH level of 7.0 or above. All acidity weakens teeth. Minimizing the amount of time that acids are in contact with teeth can minimize damage. Drinking water with meals rinses harmful food particles away from teeth and helps restore your mouth to a neutral pH level more quickly than other beverages. This makes your mouth, and your dentist, happy. Drinking water as opposed to other beverages like juice, coffee or soda between meals hydrates the tissues in your mouth and reduces the intake of harmful acids contained in those other drinks.
- Choose whole foods & avoid processed foods. What’s good for your body is good for your smile in terms of nutrition. Processed foods are typically higher in sugar and starch than whole, unprocessed foods, so they break down and turn to harmful sugar in the mouth and body more quickly. Sugar and acid on the teeth accelerates the plaque-building process, which leads to decay. Whole foods tend to have more fiber and crunch, too, which helps naturally cleanse your teeth as you eat. And many fruits, veggies and grains have vitamins and minerals which are like super foods for your teeth. An additional benefit? More crunching means more chewing, which produces more saliva, the body’s natural pH-restoring method for your mouth.
- Check to see when your last dental appointment was. Every single day, we see patients who can’t believe it’s been more than six months since their last dental visit. Time flies! You may not realize how overdue you are for your dental checkup or cleaning. Your First Choice Dental office is more than happy to check the date of your last visit and schedule appointments for a cleaning, or to see your dentist, as needed. We’re even tech-savvy, offering automatic email and text reminders, to help you stay on track.
- Resolve to get the dental care you need. Many of us can recall bad or even traumatic experiences at the dentist as a child, which may have you initially resisting making this particular goal part of your New Year’s Resolutions. But today’s dentistry has changed for the better — especially at First Choice where we’re committed to comfort-conscious care that helps keep your teeth, and your mouth healthy! It’s time to stop letting past experiences keep you from the care you need, and we’re here to make sure you’re extremely well taken care of.
Below you’ll find several comfort-conscious services and technologies that make a visit to your First Choice dentist a comfortable and anxiety-free experience.
5 Reassurances to Help You Get the Dental Care You Need
Gentle, comfortable care. Every First Choice dentist in Madison and Dane County, WI, is trained in the latest comfort-conscious techniques and is committed to making your dental visit as easy as possible — in other words, pain- and anxiety-free. Many of our patients who avoided the dentist for years because of negative dental experiences or fear have exclaimed, “you’ve helped me overcome my fear of the dentist!”
Diagnodent for early detection. The diagnodent is a tool that helps each dentist at First Choice Dental detect cavities even before they’re visible to the human eye. This helps us go above and beyond the scope of a purely visual examination to see where problems may lie. And the earlier your dentist detects damage to your tooth surfaces, including decay and cavities, the more likely we can fix the problem in a painless, non-invasive way.
Laser Dentistry for no-shot, no-drill appointments. Early detection of cavities makes it possible for your dentist to use laser dentistry, as opposed to the traditional shot and drill. Heat, vibration and pressure are the primary causes of pain associated with the use of a traditional dental drill. And often, patients tell us they dread the shot more than anything at the dentist. Laser dentistry can avoid both, with fewer shots, less need for anesthesia, less use of the drill and fewer numb lips! Not all dentists offer laser dentistry, but at First Choice Dental, all of our dentists are trained in and adept at using this comfort-conscious dental technology for gentle, comfortable care.
Sedation Dentistry helps you get the care you need, without fear. Dental phobia is incredibly common, and we frequently care for patients who previously avoided the dentist for years — even decades in some cases. Conscious sedation dentistry requires special training, which our sedation dentists have. With medication taken orally, you can relieve your dental anxiety, get the care you need with little or no memory of the procedure, and restore your smile’s health and comfort. We offer free consultations for those who want to learn more.
Complete Health Commitment. At First Choice Dental, the dentists and dental specialists in our Madison and Dane County offices are ready to be your complete oral health team. Our goal is to get your mouth to a healthy state where we can prevent problems before they happen. With services like free oral cancer screenings, expertise in headache therapy for TMJ disorders, sleep dentistry expertise, and a complete team of dental specialists including orthodontists, endodontists, periodontists and oral surgery, there’s no need to run all over town to different providers. We’re here for you in whatever capacity you need us.
Call First Choice Dental for more information or request an appointment today. We look forward to caring for your smile, and helping you keep your New Year’s resolutions in 2015!