Visiting a new dentist for the first time can be overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be. To alleviate stress, you can schedule a complimentary consultation if you’d appreciate the opportunity to simply sit down with your dentist and dental hygienist, meet them, get to know them, hear what they have to say about our treatment approaches and get a feel for what it’s like to be a patient here. Request your complimentary consultation if this would help prior to having your new patient exam.
What You Need to Know About Your First Dental Visit With First Choice Dental
Online appointment requests make it easy to schedule appointments 24/7 whenever you think of it. We’ll get back to you promptly to confirm your appointment time or suggest alternative openings. Or call any of our Locations directly to schedule your visit.
For busy professionals on the go, getting to our dental clinic from work and back is easy and quick, with 9 Madison area locations to serve you. For families, we make it convenient with Family Scheduling, so the whole family can be seen at once.
You can expect a typical New Patient Dental Exam at First Choice Dental to look like this.
- Complete Health History: Prior to your exam, you’ll complete a health history which helps us identify oral and overall health issues we should watch out for. You can even complete this form online. Many patients are surprised at the thoroughness of our health history forms. We firmly believe this is our privilege and duty as an integral member of your healthcare team. And it’s an important step in helping us care for you properly.
- Update X-rays: We’ll take x-rays so your dentist can monitor tooth and jaw development, as well as bone health. However, if you have current x-rays to provide, we will avoid taking new ones for your convenience and care. See information about safety precautions we take for xrays.
- Dental Hygiene: Your dental hygienist will clean your teeth and check to see how at-home brushing and flossing are going. Our patients find First Choice Dental hygienists to be a wealth of information about everything from easy flossing tips to toothpaste recommendations for nutrition and much more.
- Dental Exam: Your Madison area First Choice Dental dentist will examine your teeth, answer any questions that you may have and recommend any future treatment that may be needed, both immediately and potentially in the future based on your health history and exam results.
- Preventative Health Recommendations: Your dentist may also discuss appropriate recommended preventative treatment for your complete health, such as sealants or fluoride for prevention of cavities, or orthodontic care.
- Complete Health Approach: Your mouth is the window to your overall health. Chances are, if you’re a typical adult, you’ll see your dental healthcare professionals more often and spend more time with them than any other health professional in your life. Your regular dental exam is your best opportunity to ask questions of your dentist and dental hygienist about oral as well as overall health. Inquire about health risks like diabetes and heart health, other systemic health issues, even chronic bad breath and medications you can avoid to prevent dry mouth. Your dentist or hygienist may also talk about gum health and periodontal maintenance therapy to protect gums and overall health.
- Oops! I forgot! Each of us can relate to getting home and realizing there’s a question we forgot to ask. No problem. First Choice Dental offers a free online resource on our Facebook page called Ask & Share which is available to you anytime 24/7 for submitting your dental-related question online to our dentists.
- Post-appointment reminders: How often should you visit your First Choice Dental dentist? Based on your exam and your health, your dentist will let you know when to make the next visit. In most cases, First Choice Dental recommends patients see the dentist every six months as long as there are no major problems or chronic periodontal health issues to monitor.
Need to reach us between appointments? Great! We welcome your call anytime. You can contact our Locations at any time and your dental hygienist or dentist can answer your questions.Or go online to our Facebook application Ask & Shareanytime, day or night, 24/7/365. This free online resource on our Facebook page enables you to ask your dental-related question about Dental Health, Periodontal Health, Cosmetic Dentistry, Orthodontics or any range of dental-related topics. Our panel of dentists will review your question and respond right away!