Expert Family Dentists Offering Laser & Sedation Dentistry Services
We have family dentistry and specialties perfect for families on the go, like orthodontists right down the hall. We provide care they'll never outgrow. Bring your little one to see the dentists you know and trust. Learn insights and info your family needs at every stage of development for healthy smiles.
10 Dental Health Tips For Every Age & Stage of Your Family
1. First tooth = first dentist visit. The ADA recommends, and First Choice Dental agrees, that children should be seen by a dentist for the first time within six months of the eruption of their first tooth for optimal dental health. Learn why here.
2. For optimal convenience, find a family dentist who'll care for little smiles as well as adults. Provided that your child has no special needs requiring a pediodontist, most children can be seen by any dentist who's adept at caring for children and provides gentle, comfort-conscious care. This avoids having to change dentists when the child gets older. And makes appointments much more convenient for you family.
3. Preschoolers need help brushing and flossing, until at least age 6 or 7. The process of learning how to effectively brush and floss takes awhile. Parents should alternate between letting children brush and floss themselves, and then taking a turn doing it for them to make sure hard-to-reach areas don't get missed.
4. Water is the best hydration. Avoid sugar- and acid-filled sodas and juices and choose water for hydration every chance you get. The health of little smiles is easily impacted by sugar and acid.
5. Ask your dentist about fluoride while teeth are still developing. Between fluoridated water, toothpastes and mouth rinses, your child may be getting enough fluoride as teeth develop. Or if you choose mostly bottled water, you may need a supplement. Your dentist can guide you to ensure your child gets enough fluoride and avoids too much, which can cause a condition called fluorosis.
6. Age 7 = See an orthodontist. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends, and First Choice Dental agrees, that children should see an orthodontist on or before age 7, earlier than we used to think. Learn why in the orthodontics section of our website.
7. Regular dental checkups are essential for school-aged children. Dental-related pain and illness is the #1 reason for missed school days here in Dane County. Don't let it get to that point. Schedule back-to-school, and back-to-summer check ups every six months, or use another reminder to make sure your kids see a dentist every six months for optimal dental health.
8. Snack and sip all day. Get decay. Every kids (or any of us) take in anything besides water, the pH levels in their mouths change, becoming more acidic. This can contribute to plaque and tartar buildup and tooth decay. Keep control over snacking, and choose water versus soda and juice for sipping to keep your smile healthy.
9. A healthy smile is a healthier teen! Busy preteen and teen activity schedules, junk-food-rich diets and soda sipping can contribute to poor dental health. Having braces makes it challenging, too. And bedtime dental hygiene can get lax when parents are often asleep before teens. Remind teens that beautiful, healthy smiles last a lifetime and are a key part of overall health.
10. Family Scheduling makes it easy. Ask your dentist about Family Scheduling, where all family members can be seen in one visit. First Choice Dental uses family scheduling to make life easy for time-starved families, avoiding multiple trips to the dentist.
Click the age-appropriate box above for more information for your child's age and stage. Or see all Locations for information and appointments.
Madison Family Dentists you can trust.
Where else but First Choice Dental can your family find 9 neighborhood dentist locations, where one's bound to be close to your home, work, school or play? Busy Madison families can find convenient care for the whole family. We structure our family dentistry services around convenient, comfortable care for you and your children. That means Family Scheduling, orthodontics and other specialities all right here, locations near school, online scheduling, email or text appointment reminders and more to make it easy to get the family dental care you need.
As your Madison family dentist, you can trust our family dentistry experts to care for your smile and your children's smiles with a gentle touch and the latest comfort-conscious technology. This year roughly half of US adults will avoid the dentist. We understand that many people avoid the dentist due to anxiety. It doesn't have to be this way. So we specialize in helping phobic dental patients overcome their fear in order to get the care that they need. We do this with a gentle approach as well as with technologies that make today's care much more comfortable for you.
The American Dental Association says preventative dental health care is key for oral wellness and a healthier you. The Madison family dentists at First Choice Dental agree. You should visit your family dentist for a checkup at least every six months. When our family dentists conduct these oral wellness checkups, they can provide routine or deep cleanings to eliminate plaque buildup and prevent tooth decay. Our family dentists in Madison, Wisconsin or Monroe, Wisconsin can also help detect oral health problems long before the onset of symptoms or pain.
Do I really need a family dentist every six months if my mouth seems healthy?
Absolutely! Most dental health issues advance without pain or symptoms until later stages. Preventative dental health care is important for your oral wellness. What you do now to care for your smile will impact you for the rest of your life. One group of adults we often see avoiding dental checkups are in their 20s and 30s. Research shows they're actually more likely than older adults to have untreated decay! Only about 50% of adults have been to their family dentist in the past year. Not to mention that more and more research shows a close link between oral health and overall health. If you're overdue for a dental checkup, schedule your visit today.
Family Dentists Committed to Your Comfort
Regardless of which Madison family dentist you choose, select a Madison family dentist who is committed to comfort-consciousTM technologies for early detection and long-term oral health. These include these technologies, among others:
- Laser Dentistry for no-drill, no-shot appointments. Learn all about our Laser Dentistry services.
- Sedation Dentistry for those who are anxious about dental visits to be able to get the care they need without fear. To learn more about whether or not you're a candidate for Sedation Dentistry services.
- Diagnodent Scan for early detection of cavities and tooth decay when we can treat you more effectively and more comfortably
- Oral Cancer Screenings since early detection greatly improves the ability to treat oral cancer successfully
Our family dentists' commitment to early detection and prevention means that we can detect cavities early on, and sometimes treat it with Laser Dentistry, or detect and treat cavities before they require a crown, dental implant, root canal or other restorative procedure. You can trust your family dental care to the family dentists at First Choice Dental.